DHS to Give Work Permits to Spouses of Certain High-Skilled Temporary Workers – H-1B Visa – Immigration Lawyers in Charlotte

On May 6, 2014, the Department of Homeland Security (“DHS”) announced that spouses of certain H-1B temporary worker visa holders will soon be eligible to legally work in the United States. H-1B visas are often used by American companies to bring highly skilled foreign employees to the U.S. The H-1B visa can be granted for no more than six-years but, unlike most other temporary visas, H-1B visa workers are permitted to enter the U.S. with “immigrant intent.” This means someone who enters the U.S. with an H-1B can become a permanent resident. American employers often petition for their H-1B employees to become permanent residents before their temporary status expires.

Under current rules, dependents of H-1B visa holders, who are otherwise known as H-4 visa holders, cannot obtain work authorization. This can cause financial strain to the families of H-1B visa holders, who have no choice but to rely on the single income of the principal H-1B holder. The application of this rule can discourage talented foreign nationals with families from accepting employment in the U.S.

Under DHS’s proposed rule changes, dependent spouses of H-1B visaholders will be eligible to apply for employment authorization once the H-1B’s holder’s sponsor employer has submitted a petition for permanent residency, thus initiating the “green card” process. This new rule is scheduled to take effect after a 60 day public comment period.

The new rule, and others specifically affecting outstanding professors and researchers and certain Chilean, Singaporean, and Australian specialty occupation professionals, are part of an effort by the Obama Administration to “attract and retain highly skilled immigrants” and ensure “that the U.S. has the most skilled workforce in the world.”

If you are in the U.S. with an H-1B visaand would like to learn more about how your spouse can obtain a work permit, contact our immigration lawyers in Charlotte NC to schedule a consultation today! Call 704-900-2925 or email our immigration lawyers in Charlotte NC at contact@charlottelaw.net

Our Immigration Lawyers in Charlotte practice exclusively in the area of U.S. Immigration and Nationality Law. We are providing affordable immigration advice and representation to individuals, families and companies locally and worldwide. As your Immigration Lawyer in Charlotte NC we strive to construct personalized legal strategies for our clients, and deliver quality advice and competitive services in a trustful, honest, and professional manner. Our Immigration Lawyers in Charlotte offers clients absolute confidentiality, a rigorous and innovative approach to your legal problems, while the firm’s light structure allows for undivided personal attention and affordable representation. Alex Muntean is an Immigration Lawyer providing immigration advice and representation.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s